Why You Should Submit
Because we at Minerva Rising believe in your wisdom and your creativity.
Because we are committed to the power of women’s voices and we want to make those voices heard.
Because we value your work. We pay writers $50 for fiction or nonfiction prose and $35 for poetry that we select for publication.
Because don’t hide your words under a barrel, that’s why!
Our upcoming themed issues are listed below. The link beside each issue’s Reading Period dates will take you to the Minerva Rising Submittal page. There you can read all sorts of rules and stipulations about reading fees (they’re kind of like crunches and flossing – hate to do ‘em. Gotta do ‘em.), simultaneous submissions (no problem), and where to put your name (not in the body of your work, please ladies).
Ideal submissions encompass the theme of the current issue in all its connotations and interpretations. Send us work that represents the idea of Minerva in a way that moves our soul and challenges our thinking.
Issue 7: Wilderness | Reading Period 07/01/14 – 09/01/14
“The wilderness holds answers to questions [we have] not yet learned to ask.“
- Nancy Newhall, Editor and photography critic
ISSUE 8: LONELINESS | Reading Period 11/01/14 – 01/01/15“How we need another soul to cling to, another body to keep us warm. To rest and trust; to give your soul in confidence: I need this, I need someone to pour myself into.” - Sylvia Plath, The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath
- Submissions should be typed and double-spaced. Poems may be single-spaced and you may submit up to three poems for a single reading fee.
- Photos should be submitted as a JPG and no more than 2MB. You may submit up to three photos for a single reading fee. If your submission is selected we will contact you to obtain a high-resolution image.
- We only accept electronic submissions. Please, do not mail or fax submissions. Submissions received in this manner will not be acknowledged or considered.
- Be sure that you remove all identifying information, such as your name, address, phone number, and e-mail address, from your submitted work.